I am currently using region wide buy orders for veldspar (and expanding into other high sec ore), refining the results, and hauling the minerals back to somewhere with demand for them.
I do not mind occasionally getting ore in lowsec stations:
- I don't play when the pirates play. For all my whining about having shutdown during my peak game play time, I collect orders when the majority of players (including pirates) are not on.
- I don't play where the pirates play. What is the number 1 trade center? Jita. If I was a lowsec camping pirate, I would chose the border worlds of a Jita to lowsec route. I simply don't play there.
- My collections are ad-hoc; small orders are left for later; moderate size for when I am in the area, with only large orders being collected with any urgency. Large generally means more than 50% of my largest ship's cargo hold (Iteron IV). You would be a very dedicated camper to pick when I am heading to lowsec.
- Only fly what you can afford to lose. My Iteron IV costs about 900K ISK in Dodixie. 3 Expanded Cargohold II's @ 750K each. A few other negligible cost modules, and I have a ship costing about 3,200K ISK. My losec hauler has replaceable implants and a clone with sufficient skill points. Using a cheaper ship or modules reduces this even further but has reduced cargo space.
- Not many Velspar miners operate in lowsec. It happens, but not often.
- Fly to low sec when the risk is worth it. Buying cheap Veldspar, refining and turning it into a cargo load of Tritanium to sell at average prices nets me about the same in profit as the ship is worth.
- Never fly lowsec away from keyboard or with autopilot.
Losing a ship on the way to picking up my cargo would be annoying. I will be a sad hauler when I am ganked with a full cargo load of Tritanium on my return leg. I am certain it will happen.
Given that I am yet to even see another ship in the lowsec systems I am flying in, at the times I am hauling, I am prepared to take these risks.
A problem region wide buy order is that your orders may be filled in an 'out of your way' system, and has a significant opportunity cost. My opportunity cost worries my more than the ganking that is yet to happen.