I don't PVP well. I have poor reflexes. I do much better when I plan my panic responses ahead of time. I large group healed in that other game for a long time based on 'when panicked press this'.
I have been ganked far far too many times to want to count. Normally it is a gate camp in low sec, part of the reason to move into a wormhole.
For the first time in eve; I got ganked at a customs office, in a Iteron II, by 2 Proteus (T3 cloaky cruisers). I have a policy of talking to anyone, anytime; especially gankers. My response was entirely reminiscent of an animal in headlights: Oh; if I stay still maybe they ..... (Rest in pieces recently departed animal).
I received useful advice to add to my existing list of 'avoid the hunters' tips. These are not designed to keep you 100% safe; merely safe 'enough'. These are my tips for collecting PI goo.
- DScan before you leave the POS. Every time. It's quick; and there is no reason not to do it apart from laziness or forgetfulness.
- If you fly t1 industrials, keep enough space in your customs office to deliver before loading. This minimises the chances of needing to shuffle goods.
- Manipulate your planet (including launching goods to customs office) from behind POS shields; or at a safe spot while cloaked.
- Open your cargo hold and 'Access' your customs office before warping to it. This saves a few key clicks once you get there, and you know what you are going to do.
- Warp to a 'safe spot' before warping to your final destination. Hunters can see where you are aligned to and get a fairly good idea as to what you are warping to. They can be cloaked so that you don't even know they are there. Warping to a safe then to your final means that they need to find you before warping to you. (Thanks to the recent ganker for this advice).
- Customs houses are for delivering and collecting of goods. You should warp in; deliver; pick-up and warp out in quick succession; vulnerable for less than 5 seconds. Remember; they don't know where you went because of your detour via a hard to find safe spot warp.
- Mix up your planet order a little. If you have exactly 6 customs offices; and just did planets I,II,III; that cloaked hunter's ship will be hiding on planet IV.
- If you fly cheapish ships then stay logged in. I am sure this drives friendlies to distraction. However, Hunters look for changes in names or ships. If you are logged in but safe, Hunters will find you; wait for you; then get bored and forget about you. Their boredom is your friend.
- 1 Point of warp stabilisation is worth it; especially in the better T1 industrials.
- A cloak and scanner with probes is also worth it as a backup in case things go really sour.
I have learned a few tips; but there always more tips to learn. As a hunter; how do you catch someone doing the above? As the hunted spending 2/3 of your PI goo collecting time in low skill alts, what else do you do to avoid ganking in WH space?
PS. I have windows 8 installed from a purchased DVD; it worked a charm. I re-washed then rinsed my video card with de-ionised water, and it is still sitting in a cloth surrounded by 'clean' silicon based cat litter (and well away from the cats).