Monday 18 August 2014

PI Timer for EVE (android) - a shoutout

I recommend to PI extraction based pilots with an android device the PI Timer for Eve application.

I have manual methods to catch mistakes; but I still make them.

So, I on the lookout for any PI helper program that would identify any of my Pebkac issues; and have found this one.






I have been using this app now for 4 days.


On the first set of pilots I added, I had missed a timer that the app found.  This is a clear win for the app, and it now is part of my Eve experience.

A brief howto:

It could be easier to enter your API key.  One method is as follows

Log into http://community.eveonline.com
Probably on your PC, but certainly whatever you are reading this post on.


Go to http://community.eveonline.com/support/api-key/CreatePredefined?accessMask=8388610
This sets sets your API key appropriately; enabling CharacterInfo, AssetList.  Add a key name of anything; I have used PITimer but that is personal preference.

On your android device, with a web browser, log into  http://community.eveonline.com (if you are not already logged in)

Write down the key id field
Copy the key_id field with your android device; the chances of successfully retyping is comparable with 0%

Go to the PI Timer on your Android device:
  • '"add chars"tab
  • 'clear' (you need to see 'Input KeyID here' and 'Input VCode' here at the top of the screen
  • type in your Key Id and paste your Verification code (I need to delete a couple of trailing spaces)
  • wait a little
  • "Monitor Times"
  • Be suitably horrified at the planets you have missed

I still want to see:

PI timer for Eve is a good start, and I am now using it.

Allow me to change the notification noise.  I have changed the notification noise on my phone to silent simply to suppress this.  I don't mind notification noises while at keyboard playing Eve, I can cope with them at work, but don't want them while sleeping.

Other checks I would like, if possible:
  • Routes (both incoming and outgoing) are missing.
  • Some basic counter of 'out of goods' for manufacturing planets; eg you have enough mats in the colony for 12 hours, plus a trickle from either extraction or manufacturing but you have run out.
  • A warning that your storage units are likely overfull.  This one might be even more tricky especially with extraction/initial refining.  I still would like it even with basic assumptions.
I would like an easier way to enter the API key;  Eve-Droid offers several methods, and it would be good if other android apps emulated them.  Methods include a link that opens a web browser on the EVE Api key and offers an 'install' button, to reading from named text files on your android app with the information.

Finally I cant work out how to customise the type of warning.  Ideally I would prefer a notification only, without any whistles or buzzing.  I can work around it.  I made default notifications silent.

I would love the writer of the app to do more; but he has produced a meaningful and valuable tool.   At the same time I am extracting more and spending less time working out what I need to reset.

So to the author (in game : Stjerna Kuuk), you have a donation expressing my thanks, and I look forward to future enhancements.

If you use or have written another program for PI (especially those that make good use of the API key) that you would like me to look at, please leave a comment.

6 comments:

  1. App is great, I'd expound but the commenting system does not like me or what I had to say (do NOT hit the preview button). Hopefully this will post at least, really just to make me feel like better even though now this is completely irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Write comments in a notepad type app. Paste into blogger.

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea. However, I am unable to stop it from notifying me every hour. I see the configuration option to change the interval, but my selection never seems to save. Is there a trick to it that I am missing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon, your comment was hiding from me.

    But ... if you ever do check back here, sorry, no. I cant get it to save either

    ReplyDelete

Posts older than 14 days are subject to moderation before being published. I do so sporadically. If you have a question regarding older posts, also evemail dotoo foo.

Blogger comments supports basic html. You can make a link 'clicky' by <a href="http://yoursite/yourpage">yoursite/yourpage</a>

While I currently accept anonymous users, please include a pseudonym. I get confused answering anonymous.

If the word verification is preventing you from adding a comment, please evemail DoToo Foo for alternative methods