At the moment - I am a brave person. I've been flying around in low security systems in an entirely untanked Industry ship - with a few cargo extenders for extra speed penalties.
I had the philosophy of "If I am caught I am dead. I am my own scout flying out empty, flying back full."
I have picked up losec cargo from my region wide buy orders; making millions simply by being prepared to go where others are not prepared to.
From a rough straw poll; losec distribution missions pay twice as much as hisec ones. The losec L4 distribution mission on I was doing when writing this post payed about 700,000k ISK (mission + agent reward); double that of many of my hisec missions.
A week ago; I had never been ganked; in the last 3 weeks it has happened 3 times; all in losec.
Once when I was asleep at the keyboard. It was a little more expensive than I thought it would be - I had not priced in the cost of replacing my medical clone. The ganking cost me just about 3 million ISK for the ship, 3 million for implants and clone, and the standing loss of 1 mission.
The second time I was at my keyboard, paying attention. I was ganked on the way out of the system by someone waiting for me:
- Have nothing of value as cargo: Just a mission item, my ship and it's fittings.
- Enter losec system (from another losec system)
- Select next stargate and select 'jump'
- Warp to next stargate
- Leave warp - just a few seconds till I jump.
- Sheilds scream that they are failing. Oh dear.
- Armor failing. JUMP please. No? I think this ship is going to break, hope anyway. Select a warp destination - any destination.
- No hope. Hull Fails : warp to previous location via hotkey.
- Lost ship, but kept my implants and clone intact.
Collect my bearings. Where do I want to jump to? The local station has destroyers - slightly expensive but cheaper than replacing implants. Dock at the station.
The ganker initiates conversation with an emoticon o/ (or something similar); I didn't respond with expected tears but with questions. (I read that some like tears; I can understand ganking for profit, or ganking for revenge; but I don't think I will ever understand ganking just to make a random stranger just to have someone who may as well be an NPC cry.) Anyway my questions were:
- "As I didn't lose my pod; was I quick enough or don't you pod?". Apparently (A) I was fast enough and (B) his ship was too slow to target my pod.
- "How did you catch me between coming out of warp and my jumping? I thought a manual jump would have been too quick." He was waiting for me.
- "Did you see me jumping earlier or did you have a spotter?" He said that would be telling.
- "How much would it take for you to tell?". He claimed to be loaded. (Sitting in a two bit system off in the middle of losec nowhere solo ganking empty industrial ships - sure if I was loaded that's what I would be doing too. Believe that and I have a contract for you.)
The third time I put a tank on my ship;
- rig : 3 x medium core defense field extender I;
- 2 medium shield extender 1,
- 1 medium shield booster 1 (lasts about 5 seconds with my current capacitors), and
- 1 adaptive invulnerability field 1
- Low :
- 1 Nanofiber internal structure II
- 1 Expanded cargohold 2
- 1 empty slot (I am swapping in and out cargohold expander modules depending on loads)
Because it was a system I had not traveled to before well inside losec; I purchased a newbie frigate to scout with; and did an empty run and return unmolested; I saw some wrecks but no hostile ships (or maybe I am just not looking properly)
When I took my cargo; I was tackled by 2 ships just entering the system (first time for me): one with a warp destabiliser. The plan was to survive the time required to dock, jump or enter warp. I couldn't do any of the above - having jumped too far into the system to immediately jump back. I was tackled before realising the danger I was in and didn't know I couldn't warp until it was too late to do anything about it.
I tried to warp away with my pod and could not do that either; However I could run back to the jump gate before being podkilled. I have no idea how - the pod was down to 1/2 armour and I was missed several times by the attackers before I managed to make it back to the gate and jump.
I don't feel sorry for myself though: part of what I am doing is seeing what works and what doesn't. In the last 7 days I have doubled my ISK from trading even after paying for ships, equipment and in one instance : implants.
I still expect to lose a ship during a gank attempt and will consider myself lucky for getting away; though I now have an expectation that I should keep my pod. I am considering whether 8.5M Isk for tanking will keep me alive enough to justify it's cost (and loss), or whether I just go untanked.
My current fit is at http://eve.battleclinic.com/loadout/61033-Iteron-Mark-IV-losec-hauler.html ; worth putting up - got some bruising comments but I would rather that than a destroyed ship.