You can simply jump in and do it and get some nasty surprises; or you can do your research. I have included links at the bottom of this page. Some links I found useful are also duplicated in this post.
In it's simplest form PI is easy;
- Train the required skills (All useful; Remote Sensing 1 appears to be mandatory)
- Find a planet
- Jump to system; place a command center
- Place your extractors and start them
- Build a storage facility
- Build some processing plants for phase 1 processing
- Build some processing plants for phase 2 processing
- Build a lauchpad
- Link everything up making sure everything is routed correctly
- Keep an eye on things and fill your launchpad
- Once your lauchpad is full
- jump to system
- launch your stuff
- loot the customs office
- haul your stuff
- sell your stuff
Where the complexity come in:
- Deciding what to extract or process. As always I let the market tell me what is valuable.
- Are you going to extract hard to get low availability items for a higher price?
- Are you going to extract abundant but cheaper items?
- Choose your security:
- Hisec (with high taxes; poorer extraction; low risk of pirates);
- Losec (potentially lower taxes; higher extraction; high risk of pirate); and/or
- Nullsec (??)
- Wormhole (??)
- Are you going to specialize your planets to one item or try to build a manufacturing chain.
I started off with the 'jump in and get a nasty surprise' approach. My surprise was in Hisec PI taxes. By simply taking my goods off planet - I had to pay 50% of my expected sales in up front taxes. Uggh. Most of the articles I read neglect to mention this trivial item.
Hisec taxec for PI per unit (Assuming I have read it correctly; and it fits with what I paid in taxes on my first haul of raw mats)
|Item level||export tax||import tax|
(If this table is wrong for hisec; please let me know and I will fix it)
This means those micro-organism and noble gas buy orders I see at 0.4 ISK are below the cost to lift it from the surface.
So far I am trying a couple of planets to see what works. But if you have plans on selling hisec raw PI stuff, mine the mats that sells for more than tax.
- https://www.google.com.au/search?q=eve+pi+guide : Google eve pi guide
- http://www.tetrr.com/pi/ : View a simple PI-Tree for any planetary construction.
- http://www.eveplanets.com/ : Planet finder