Monday 5 March 2012

What do I need for those anti matter charges

I'm still an Eve newbie.

I have a 'mission' (or quest) as part of the tutorials:
To be sure you understand the basics of business and production, your agent has asked you to build 5,000 units of Antimatter S, using the blueprint copy provided. The rest of the production runs on the blueprint are yours to do with as you please.

Now, it is a tutorial, but it has a time completion bonus.  Admittedly the time should be overly generous, assuming I can sit in front of the PC for the time required.  I also like to try to understand what I am doing.

Looking at the blueprint in game, it seems to produce 100 per 'run'; and takes in material 1 Nocxium, 20 Pyerite, and 248 Tritanium.  Woo hoo. It also tells me that if I had better something or other, I would only need 17 Pyrite and 202 Tritanium (gee thanks for rubbing it in; I already know I'm a newbie).  Oh well, at least I know what I have to look forward to if I ever do this again.

So, assuming I manufacture it all, and don't just sell the recipe (apparently worth 90,000 ISK) I will need 50 manufacturing runs; each costing
  • 1 * 700 ISK (buy for Nocxium)
  • 20 *  5 ISK (buy for Pyrite)
  • 248 * 4.18 ISK (sell for Tritanium - have lots of this from earlier missions)
or roughly 2,800 ISK per 100; or 28 ISK each.  However, it only costs me 20 ISK each to buy the items premade; so I would be better of just to buy it, and sell the blueprint from a purely economic viewpoint.

What I don't know at this point is if it will simply let me buy the items of the AH to complete my quest, or if I am required to make all 5000.  So I will split the difference; make 2500 and try to buy the rest.  This allows me to try out both the manufacturing tutorial and an ISK saving theory.


What I didn't factor in was the installation cost (1000 ISK, and cost per hour 330 ISK), so buying would really have been the better way.  Oh well, it happens - part of the cost of doing the tutorial this time around; or the cost of picking up Industry Level 1. 

Yes I know that I am playing with chump change.  Starter gold.  However the same rules that apply at this low level also apply to higher level skills.  In World of Warcraft, I am one of the major manufacturers and sellers in a couple of markets, where the costs of materials make a huge difference; and the decision whether to make your own material or buy the surplus goods of others matters.


After all this, I discovered that it will take roughly 90 minutes to process the charges, and I can find plenty of buy orders for the charges.  So I just bought all 5000 charges, and the mission could be completed. 

Regardless, a new ship to play with and some cruft I have accumulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts older than 14 days are subject to moderation before being published. I do so sporadically. If you have a question regarding older posts, also evemail dotoo foo.

Blogger comments supports basic html. You can make a link 'clicky' by <a href="http://yoursite/yourpage">yoursite/yourpage</a>

While I currently accept anonymous users, please include a pseudonym. I get confused answering anonymous.

If the word verification is preventing you from adding a comment, please evemail DoToo Foo for alternative methods