Woo hoo - I have my standing at 5 for both Gallante and Minmatar. I wasn't quick, but despite spending a fair amount of time in Eve, a lot is /afk (away from keyboard) due to out of Eve priorities. In terms of time in front of a keyboard it was quick enough.
- Social 4 (standing increase per mission completed),
- Connections 4 (effective standing improvement for friendly NPC factions, corps, and agents)
- Starter Career agents - up to 10 missions / agent; 5 per system; 3 systems / faction; 2 allied factions; (I think? I have one more starter career system that I can do - not sure)
- Lost that bet mission series
- 1 level 2 storyline mission
- Data center missions :
- 4 graduate certificate missions
- 3 x copper tag missions
- 3 other tag missions
After all of this, I was at standing 5.1 with Gallante, and 5.0 for Minmatar; should be enough to get a significant discount on my refining (6.67 standing and you no longer lose minerals to the refining stations - depending on refining skill and station level). Umm. No.
Maybe I was told and didn't understand it. Maybe I didn't understand what I was reading. Just because a faction loves you, doesn't mean that their corporations will give you a discount on refining. Faction standing gives you nice things, but not a refining/reprocessing bonus. Corporation standing gives the refining bonus.
Corporation missions gives corporation standing. Faction standing gives you better quality agents (hence better corporation missions). For an agent to give you a mission; it appears that you must have, with the agent, corporation or faction the following standing:
- Anyone who can get into a station can do level 1 agent missions.
- 1.0 standing allows level 2 agent missions.
- 3.0 allows level 3 agent missions.
- 5.0 allows level 4 agent missions.
- 7.0 allows level 5 agent missions.
The missions I have completed are not wasted; they have given me 4+ standing for some corporations that I wanted anyway, and I now have access to about 80 level 4 distribution agents.
I can not chain the L4 distribution missions as easily. My Iteron IV can only hold the cargo for 2-3 L4 missions and the agents are not that close to each other. I will most likely play with chaining L3 distribution missions and compare it to doing single L4 distribution missions. Gut feel says L4 is better but I should confirm it.
For the record I have been told that you can tag along with some else's L4 missions, but for frequent AFK play - it doesn't work so well for either party. Plus a lot of players have a mild preference for solo play.
My research was faulty and I did not get the 'reward' (cheap refining faction wide) that I was looking for. As a consolation I do have access to L3 & L4 distribution missions and cheaper refining at a few stations.
At the moment I am choosing less traveled regions (i.e. not Jita), placing dirt cheap region wide buy orders on minerals until I spend most of my ISK. I am part way through training 'margin trading', allowing me to have more in 'buy' orders than I can cover in one hit, relying on ongoing sales to replenish ISK.
p.s. part 3 of server maintenance is not forgotten - just coming soon.